The Central Intermediate Unit # 10 Preschool Early Intervention Program is a year-round system that identifies and provides early intervention special education services to eligible young children who must meet the following criteria:
- Ages three to five years old and not yet enrolled in kindergarten
- Residing in Centre, Clearfield, or Clinton Counties
- Exhibiting a developmental delay of at least 25% and/or a disability and in need of specially designed instruction.
The process of determining that a child has a developmental delay usually begins at the screening level. A multidisciplinary evaluation is conducted if the child does not pass the screening activities or there is supporting documentation that indicates the need to move directly to an evaluation. The family is the most important source of information and no assessment is conducted without the family's written consent. Programs and services for children who are eligible for early intervention are determined by a team of professionals and the child's family who develop a individualized education plan (IEP).
Preschool Early Intervention services for eligible young children are:
- Provided at no cost to the family
- Determined by the IEP team
Preschool Early Intervention services may include:
1. Home based Teacher and/or Therapists
2. Itinerant services provided by a Teacher and/or Therapists at a child’s preschool, child care site, or Head Start
3. Classroom based services (both Integrated and Specialized classes are available)
5. Teacher of the Hearing Impaired services
6. Teacher of the Visually Impaired services
7. Speech and Language Therapy services
8. Occupational Therapy services
9. Physical Therapy services
10. Psychological services
11. Assistive Technology services
Karen M. Krise, M. Ed.
Director of Preschool Early Intervention
Central Intermediate Unit # 10
345 Link Road
West Decatur, PA 16878
814-342-0884 or 1-800-982-3375, Extension 3572 (PA-only)
Regina Swatsworth- Administrative Assistant Fiscal
Sherry Jesberger- Administrative Assistant Data
To make an Early Intervention referral, please call Sherry Jesberger at 814-342-0884 Ext. 3060.