Continuing Professional Education courses offered through CIU 10, designed to meet the needs of educators, are Pennsylvania Department of Education-approved credit courses.
Each month-long course, which is completed strictly online, is designed in a work-at-your-own-pace format.
Each course costs $275.00 and is worth three graduate-level credits (90 Act 48 Hours).
Educators across the state of Pennsylvania are invited to enroll in any of our online continuing professional education courses; registrants neither have to reside, nor be employed, in Central Intermediate Unit 10’s coverage area of Clearfield, Centre and Clinton counties to register for our CPE courses. We also welcome educators who are not currently Pennsylvania residents, as they are seeking to gain Act 48 Hours in order to keep their Pennsylvania teaching certificates active.
CPE courses can be used:
- To fulfill an educator’s Act 48 requirements. Act 48 requires professional educators participate in courses related to their area of certification or their current teaching assignment.
- Toward an educator’s Level II certification (permanent certification).
- For a master’s equivalency.
- For a salary increase for educators (courses must comply with district policy). Please be advised that it does depend on the language in each district’s collective bargaining agreement (CBA) as to whether CIU 10’s online courses qualify to be used for reimbursement and/or credit. CIU 10’s Continuing Professional Education courses are offered to educators throughout Pennsylvania. With more than 500 public school districts in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, (not to mention several non-public schools we serve as well), it is difficult, if not impossible, for CIU 10 to determine whether each course will be eligible/meet each individual district’s CBA requirements for reimbursement; therefore, it is the responsibility of each registrant to check their CBA and in some cases request district approval in writing prior to registering and completing a course.
How to Register and Pay for Courses
The cost for each online course is $275.00.
If payment is received after the registration deadline, there will be a $15.00 late fee added, making the total cost for each course $290.00.
Late fees will not be waived for any registrant, as registration is open for several months before the start date of each course, allowing ample time for payment to be submitted prior to the registration deadline.
When you click on the course title, you will find a course description, requirements, dates each session is running, etc. When you find a course which meets your needs, simply click on the “Click Here to Register” link at the bottom of the course description to register online for the course of your choice, ensuring all required fields are complete. After your online registration form is complete, you will choose what type of payment you would like. We will mail you a receipt/registration confirmation after we receive your check payment. If paying online with a credit card, please print a receipt for your records. The instructor will email you your log-on information the evening before the course is scheduled to begin.
If paying by check, payments must be mailed prior to the registration deadline to:
Central Intermediate Unit 10
200 Shady Lane Suite #100 Philipsburg PA 16866
To pay online with a credit card, click here.
- Payment for the full cost of the course must be received in the CIU 10 office on or before the registration/payment deadline date. Registration and payment for courses received after the registration deadline date will incur a $15.00 late fee. Because registration is open months prior to the start date of each course, no exceptions will be granted for late registrants incurring late fees for submitting payment after registration has closed.
- Registration fees will not be refunded for cancellations made after the registration deadline.
- Registration fees will not be refunded to those who register but do not participate in or complete the course.
- Additional registrations may be accepted after the registration deadline date. These late registrations will incur a late registration fee of $15.00. No exceptions.
- CIU 10 will not confirm each individual registration prior to payment being received. Payment must be received by the registration deadline in order to confirm/hold your registration. Course registrations submitted online without payment are not held.
- PDE’s policy requires 100% participation for credits to be earned. Course participants are expected to complete a course project, and each participant must complete an evaluation at the end of the course before credit is issued.
- Course credit(s) will be issued to participants once the instructor(s) confirms the participant attended the course (face-to-face) and/or participated in the course (online); completed all in-class and out-of-class assignments; signed in each day (face-to-face) courses; and completed an evaluation at the end of the course.
- Credits will not be issued to a participant repeating a course where they previously were issued credits.
- If you have special needs as addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act and need assistance with a course, please make your needs known when you register. Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate you.
Requesting Additional Transcripts
Participants are mailed two original transcripts at no charge for each course successfully completed. Upon request, an additional transcript may be mailed at a cost of $20.00 per instance. There is a $5.00 fee for each additional course letter requested after the first instance. (Example- first additional transcript $20 the second additional transcript $5, total for two transcripts $25) To request an additional transcript, please send a letter or email listing the name of the course and the date the course was completed, along with processing fee, to Central Intermediate Unit 10, 200 Shady Lane Suite 100 Philipsburg PA 16866