Governor's STEM Competition
The Governor’s STEM Competition challenges student teams from across the state to research, design, and present a device or project that can make the quality of life better for Pennsylvanians by accomplishing a series of practical tasks that can fulfill real-world needs.
The competition is open to students in grades 9 through 12 who attend a public, charter, or private school, a career and technical education center, or a student being homeschooled in Pennsylvania.
Teams can include up to five students and they must work under the guidance of an approved mentor.
2024 Theme: STEM - Where Innovation and Ingenuity Collide: Creating a Commonwealth with Universal Design in Mind
In celebration of the 10th Year Anniversary of the Governor’s STEM Competition, we are excited to offer two options for school teams who wish to participate in the 2024 competition.
Regardless of each student team's participation in the competition, a team is limited to a maximum of five students in grades 9 through 12. Students must be associated with a public, charter, or private school, a career and technical education center, or homeschooled in Pennsylvania.
Each student team must work under the guidance of an approved school mentor.Option A: STEM Prototype with Digital Poster
- Each team will receive a $600 stipend.
- This option is for those who wish to have the opportunity to participate in-person at the State Finals.
- STEM Prototype with Digital Poster Scoring Components
- Written Proposal: Minimum 500, Maximum 2,000-word document submitted no later than March 6, 2024.
- Video Presentation: 10-minute minimum, 20-minute maximum presentation recorded and submitted no later than March 6, 2024.
- Digital Poster demonstrates the scientific and engineering process that students engaged in while designing the team’s prototype.
- Project submissions are categorized in one of two divisions:
- Division 1: Those who competed in the STATE COMPETITION in the last 5 years.
- Division 2: Those who have not competed in the STATE COMPETITION in the last 5 years.
- Top 20 projects will advance to the State Finals at PaTTAN Harrisburg
Option B: Digital Poster
- This option is for the purpose of creating a Digital Poster to demonstrate the scientific and engineering process students engaged in while developing and designing their school’s STEM class, program, or club.
- This option is for those teams who do not wish to participate in person.
- School teams will submit these posters digitally – they will be printed by PaTTAN, displayed at finals, then mailed to the teams.
- NO formal judging will occur for poster submissions, however digital badges and Certificates of Participation will be provided to participating teams.
- Maximum of 5 students are permitted to work and submit a poster.
- Approved mentors are not permitted to contribute to the development or creation of the digital com[ponents for the team’s poster.
The Governor’s STEM Competition will be held in a hybrid format in 2024.
Round 1 of judging will occur virtually from March 7 - 27, 2024
State Finals will be held at PaTTAN Harrisburg on May 8, 2024
Registrants will receive a one-time $600 stipend to design and build their prototype or device. Stipends will be distributed to schools pending commitment to participation in the competition. Once school district business offices receive the stipend, they are responsible for disbursement of funds to the team advisor.
CONTEST CONTACT INFORMATIONCIU10 CONTACT INFORMATION
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
September 27, 2023: Team registration form opens
September 27, 2023: Logo competition form opens
December 12, 2023: Logo competition form closes
January 6, 2024: Advisors will be notified by IU mentors
January 9, 2024: Stipends sent to schools (estimated date)
February 5, 2024: Advisor and Team information form closes at 9PM
February 5, 2024: Project submission form opens at 7AM
March 6, 2024: Project submission and media consent form closes at 9PM
March 7-28, 2024: Judging timeframe for Round 1
March 28, 2024: Top 20 teams notified and invited to State Finals via email
March 28, 2024: Personal liability and medical release form opens
April 19, 2024: Personal liability and medical release form closes
May 8, 2024: State finals at PaTTAN Harrisburg 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM