Artist Residencies - For Schools & Community Groups
The Artist Residency Program places professional artists in school settings for an extended period of days. Teaching artists engage students in a series of sequential workshops that provide opportunities for creative expression, skill development and discovery. These experiences have the potential to energize learning in nearly any subject area! They also promote important 21st Century job skills, including community, collaboration and cooperation and provide rich opportunities for social and emotional learning (SEL).
Artist residencies are tailor-made to address the curricular needs of an individual school and classroom. The artist and teachers work together to create, design, plan and implement a residency that can be linked to a theme or a specific area of study and tied directly to the PA Academic Standards.
The Possibilities for Your School/Community group:
Artists work with up to 3 “core groups” (of up to 30 students/participants each) each day of the residency, infusing arts learning in the curriculum.
PLUS, Artists may also:
- Offer a presentation, performance, exhibit, etc. for the whole school
- Conduct workshops for non-core group classes
- Conduct a professional development workshop for teachers
- Participate with students in a culminating activity for the school, parents and the community!
Funding support for artist residencies, from up to 30%-50% of the artist fee, may be available from Galaxy through its partnership with the PA Council on the Arts (PCA). To be considered for grant support, residencies must be a minimum of 10 days (5 days with an ensemble). “Days” do not need to be consecutive.
How to Reserve an Artist for a Residency:
If you know the artist you would like to contract, contact them to discuss the residency and confirm availability. If not, we will help find an artist to meet your needs.
- Complete the Galaxy Services Request Form.
- Someone from Galaxy will be in contact with you to discuss the residency and plan a meeting between you, the artist, and a Galaxy representative.
- Submit the Residency Request Form. (The Galaxy representative will provide this at the initial meeting.)
- Distribute and collect Photo Release Permission forms.
- Hold the residency. Document activities: take pictures and videos to promote your residency!
- After the residency, submit the PCA School Site Residency Survey.
- The CIU10 Galaxy program will invoice your business office.