Has anyone one ever told you that you woke up on the wrong side of the bed? You almost instantly want to snap at them, because you didn’t get enough sleep.
When we don’t get enough sleep our bodies are in a state of stress and will create more cortisol, a stress hormone, to help keep us alert.
Cortisol is essentially our body’s alarm system. It’s most known role is to fuel our bodies for flight or fight response, but it also works with our brain to control mood, motivation, and fear. Hence the “want” to snap at someone.
If that alarm system stays on, it can wreak havoc in our body. Some of the symptoms include brain fog, anxiety, depression, and increased addictive behaviors.
Not sleeping can be one of the most frustrating and unhealthy issues to deal with, which is why it’s important to seek help.
Work with your doctor to come up with the best solution. You can also speak to a Highmark Wellness Coach about their Sleep Well program.
To get you started here is a list of 7 natural ways to work on your sleep.
- Establish a regular bedtime
- Power down and decrease use of electronics before bed
- Stop eating a few hours before bed
- Create a bedtime ritual with meditation, journaling, or a relaxing bath
- Engage in regular exercise
- Avoid caffeine throughout the day
- Decrease your consumption of news and social media