- This event has passed.
AAC: Ready- Set- Goal! Part 1 and Part 2
December 17, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 11:15 am$10.00
CIU 10 welcomes Melissa Hoy, PRC-Saltillo Consultant for Part 1 and Part 2 of the Ready-Set-Goal series.
AAC: Ready-Set-Goal! Part 1 (9:00-10:00)
Description: Creating goals and measuring progress for individuals who use AAC can be a challenging process for a variety of reasons, including subtle growth, environmental and communication partner considerations, and differences in language growth for individuals who use AAC. While there are available goal banks to use, these still require tweaking and may not always be appropriate for individual clients.
This course will provide participants with a goal writing framework, assessment tools, and resources so they have the skills to write meaningful goals for clients who use AAC. Participants will engage in goal writing in order to learn about the goal attainment scale, assessment with AAC considerations, and linguistic and operational communicative competence. This course will help participants reflect on where their client is (baseline), where they want to go (goals), and how to get there (a plan).
Participants will be able to:
- identify the three important components used in the provided AAC Goal Framework.
- define linguistic communicative competence for AAC use.
- define operational communicative competence for AAC use.
- write one goal, with at least 2 objectives, using the framework provided.
- 3 possible ways to assess linguistic competence for AAC use.
AAC: Ready – Set – GOAL! Part 2 (10:15-11:15)
Description: This course follows AAC: Ready – Set – GOAL! Part One. In Part Two, we will continue to address the unique challenges of writing goals for individuals who use AAC, including differences in language acquisition, environmental considerations, and communication partner considerations. Rather than reviewing a bank of goals, in this course, we will continue to use the goal attainment scale and SMART terminology as a framework for writing meaningful goals.
This course will pick up with covering the communicative competencies for AAC, taking an in-depth look at social and strategic communicative competencies. Participants will engage in goal writing in order to learn SMART terminology. We will discuss monitoring progress, as a goal is only as good as your ability to measure it. This course will help participants reflect on where their client is (baseline), where they want to go (goals), and how to get there (a plan).
It is necessary for participants to take Part One prior to taking Part Two for understanding.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify the three important components used in the provided AAC Goal Framework.
- List the four areas of communicative competence for AAC use.
- Identify resources to support writing goals and monitoring progress.
- Define social and strategic communicative competence for AAC use.
- Describe elements that make a “SMART” goal.
ASHA Credits and Act 48 will be available.
For questions about this event, contact Stephanie King (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lauren Smith (Lsmith@ciu10.org).