How to Effectively Communicate with Parents
CPE Course #20110225
Upcoming Session Dates
Ocotber 1 - November 1, 2019
Registration deadline for this session is September 24, 2019. Payment must be received in the CIU 10 office on or before September 24, 2019. Late fee of $15.00 will be charged for payments received after September 24, 2019.
Course DescriptionThis online Moodle course is designed for classroom teachers and guidance counselors (especially grades 3-12, but open to K-12) who are interested in learning more about how to effectively and proactively communicate with parents and guardians. Each lesson has readings, video and written responses. There is a pre-assessment as well as a post assessment included. Several case studies are also included. The goal of the course is for each participant to have a written action plan for proactively managing their communication with parents and caregivers.This course, which lasts approximately 30 days, will be completed strictly online using the Moodle platform. The instructor for this course is Joshua Stein with Stein Business. Pending receipt of payment, participants will receive an email from Stein Business containing their log-on information the night before the course begins.Participants who successfully complete all requirements of this course will earn Three (3) PDE Graduate Level Credits, equal to 90 Act 48 Hours.Participants will be able to:
- assess personal strengths and weaknesses in dealing with parents.
- develop a written plan for communicating and dealing with parents throughout the year.
- analyze the diversity of their student population in regards to their parents and/or care givers.
- create a plan for successful parent teacher conferences.
- proactively develop responses to common situations that may arise between teachers and caregivers.
- create a system for communicating homework and assignments to parents.
- develop a plan for problem solving student needs with parental involvement.
- develop ways to deal effectively with hostile or non-responsive parents.
- develop effective communication with the parents of students with special needs.
- defend with research using article reviews the statement, "Parental involvement positively affects student achievement".
Graduate Level RequirementAct 48 requires 42 hours of instruction plus 48 hours of out-of-class activity including a course project. Participants out-of-class assignments include but are not limited to:
- read the book How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie and write a 1-3 page synopsis of the book.
- create and write an action plan for proactively and effectively communicating with parents/caregivers.
- write a 3-5 page typed and double spaced reflective essay about what you learned or have relearned from this course.