Building Self Esteem: Achieve Success/Beat Bullying/Foster Positive Learning
CPE Course #20110001
Upcoming Session Dates
March 17, 2020 - April 17, 2020
Registration deadline for this session is March 10, 2020. Payment must be received in the CIU 10 office on or before March 10, 2020. Late fee of $15.00 will be charged for payments received after March 10, 2020.
July 28, 2020 - August 28, 2020
Registration deadline for this session is July 22, 2020. Payment must be received in the CIU 10 office on or before July 22, 2020. Late fee of $15.00 will be charged for payments received after July 22, 2020.
This three-credit course is intended for K-12 educators. This course is designed to give the participant the necessary skills to build their students self esteem. A positive self image is at the core of every successful person. Using a 6 step process, the educator will be able to guide their pupils towards a more positive self image. Self Esteem building activities for all ages will be included.
This course, which lasts approximately 30 days, will be completed strictly online using the Moodle platform. The instructor for this course is Joshua Stein with Stein Business. Pending receipt of payment, participants will receive an email from Stein Business containing their log-on information the night before the course begins.
Participants who successfully complete all requirements of this course will earn Three (3) PDE Graduate Level Credits, equal to 90 Act 48 Hours.
Participants will be able to:
- identify warning signs of bullying.
- develop positive strategies to intervene in bullying.
- complete 2 online Learning Styles Inventories.
- learn a 6 step process to developing self esteem in students.
- identify and state three elements of good Digital Citizenship as defined by PA Technology Standards.
- identify at risk students.
- intervene with at risk students.
- identify and utilize proven "Best Practices" in their teaching and classroom management.
- analyze their current practices and evaluate necessary modifications.
Graduate Level RequirementAct 48 requires 42 hours of instruction plus 48 hours of out-of-class activity including a course project. Participants' out-of-class assignments include but are not limited to:
- search the Internet for appropriate self esteem building activities you can use with your specific population. Post the links on the appropriate Moodle forum.
- develop and post a Professional Plan for Building Self-Esteem with your population.
- Research and Article Review - Participants will read and evaluate several articles that support positive self esteem in children and post a review of the article on our Moodle.
- create a PowerPoint presentation that illustrates the need for self esteem in children.
- read one of the following books and write a 1-3 page synopsis: Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman; A Teacher's Guide to Sticking Up for Yourself! A 10 Part Course in Self Esteem and Assertiveness for Kids by Gershen Kaufman, Ph.D., Lev Raphael, Ph.D. and Pamela Espeland; The Six Pillars of Self Esteem: The Definitive Work on Self Esteem by Nathaniel Branden. Alternative titles will be considered by the Instructor as a participant's request.